FC4, Gnome, and digital cameras

Per Thomas Jahr perja at extern.uio.no
Wed Jun 29 06:35:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 17:06 -0400, Daniel Orzechowski wrote:
> Udev on my FC4 install is set up to automatically create the device node
> for my digital camera (/dev/camera) when it's plugged in and turned on.  No
> problems there.  What I would like is to have the camera automatically show
> up on my Gnome desktop.  When I navigate to its mountpoint (/misc/camera)
> autofs mounts the device, it appears on my desktop, and the Gnome photo
> importer dialog pops up.  How would I get Fedora to automatically mount my
> camera's storage device and place it on the desktop when I plug it in?

You can try to switch the usb mode on your camera so that it shows up
like a regular disc (normal mode not PTP).

Otherwise these url's should help:

http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/usbcamera.php
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

> And now that I think about it, is there any way to stop the photo importer
> from running whenever I access the camera?  I don't need to "import" my
> pictures anywhere, I just need to open it in The Gimp.

You can change this by using gnome-volume-properties.

--
Per Thomas