gcj and Suns jdk on fc4

Olaf Mueller daily-planet at istari.de
Wed Jun 29 09:57:28 UTC 2005

Olaf Mueller wrote:

> ok, seems to me that nobody really uses gcj for learning java or for
> develop java applications under fc4. Now I have removed gcj from fc4
> and simply installed Suns jdk as rpm. That works great so far.
Ok, I have to adjust this. This is not the solution I have wanted, I
must notice no.
So, I removed Suns rpm, reinstalled gcj and installed Suns Java as
descriped on http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/howto/jpackage-sun-fc3/
(java-1.5.0-sun package from Jpackage).

Now I have two java installations under /usr/lib/jvm:
java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/
java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.04/

For learning java swing and for executing java applications that
depends on Suns java I want to use java under the path
java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.04/. For the rest to do with java I want to use
java under path java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/. For selection I use
'alternatives --config java', but this only works as root. Is there a
way to get this also work for a user and not only for root?

Is this solution now a good idea or will there be problems, maybe when
updating my system with yum?

Seems to me that using java under fedora core 4 is a little bit tricky.

thanks
Olaf