Missing Harddrives

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:23:58 UTC 2005

Hey,
Go into the setup program and see if the BIOS has a setting for the drives.
It probably has a choice of either 'RAID' or SCSI but not both. If you have
a regular rack type drive with built in RAID (even two drives as a mirror)
then it will have to be set to RAID.

THEN when you have it set in the BIOS, you have to go in and create the RAID
(1 or 5 most likely) and tell it where to start and where to stop. IOW if
you were doing mirroring you tell it to start at disk zero and go to disk
one for example.

After that you should initialize the drive. If you don't initialize the
RAID, it is still not quite usable since the OS has to be able to read and
write to the disk and the motherboard has to know what to do with the card -
do I ignore the card or obey the card?

After that try your install. It should come up and with any luck find the
driver. If for some reason you are missing your RAID driver, you might have
to get the DELL disk for that which sets it up for you. I just set up a
server and thought I needed it, but my version of Red Hat didn't have a
problem since it used the 'megaraid' driver. I would bet you won't have a
problem with it either when you get to that point.

Marc