Samba FC4

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Wed Jun 29 19:17:44 UTC 2005

Mark Teigen wrote:

> I just upgraded to Core 4.
>
> Now my Samba server is not talking to a windows machine.
>
> The settings in Samba and Folder permissions have not changed.
>

> Am I missing something?

Forgive me if you already know this, but you didn't include much
information.

The one thing I always read about when trying to set up Samba is that
there isn't really an easy way to get it working. There are two work
arounds I've read about, and neither I could do, so I never got it
working. The first work around is to disable iptables. There is some
kind of issue with iptables blocking packets or connections or
something, so the only way to get all the packets and/or connections
through is to disable iptables. This is something I was not willing to
do. The second way around is to set up a WINS server so samba and talk
through it to the other computers. I've had no experiance what-so-ever
with an WINS server, so I can't help you there.

Justin Willmert