FC4 and vmware workstation 5

Ed Gurski ed at gurski.com
Wed Jun 29 20:49:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 16:22 -0400, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> On 6/29/05, Don Dupy <fedora at maxxrad.net> wrote:
> > Has anyone worked with FC4 and sucessfully installed vmware workstation
> > 5??
> >
> > I did, but with bad results, it made my network card unusable. could not
> > ifup or ifdown, or /etc/init.d/network restart. I had to re-install FC4
> > I tried it again and the same thing
> >
> > anyone with any ideas where to look?? I tried version 4.5.2 of vmware
> > workstation and it will not compile to the new kernel.
> >
> > help.............. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Don Dupy
> >
> > FC1 - Kernel 2.4.22 - Dell Poweredge 600SC
> > http://www.maxxrad.net
> > email: fedora at maxxrad.net
> >
> > --
> >
> I Installed workstation 5 on FC4 without any issues.  The only thing I
> had to do was install was a patch. http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/

What you need to download is the vmware-any-any-update92.tar.gz

Once downloaded untar, and then change to the directory it created and
execute the install.sh as root. Just follow the instructions and once
done start vmware in your normal fashion.

This version of update92 does not destroy your vmware networking,
previous versions removed it. I just did an update last night without
any problems.

It's a good idea to bookmark the site and return whenever a kernel
update occurs to ensure that your are using the correct update.

Cheers...

--
Ed Gurski <ed at gurski.com>