Kernel Compiling

Mark Bidewell mark.bidewell at alumni.clemson.edu
Wed Jun 29 22:37:46 UTC 2005

Robby Tanner wrote:

> [...]
make oldconfig  takes a .config from a previous kernel i.e.  2.6.x ->
2.6.12 and allows the user to add values for options which were not in
the earlier kernel.  For example, if I have a .config from a 2.6.8
kernel which I wanted to use in a 2.6.12 source tree, I could use
oldconfig to set options such as the ondemand CPUFreq governor which was
not available in 2.6.8 (stabilized in 2.6.9).  The config files come
from other kernels you have built or /proc/config.gz.
Mark Bidewell

Mark Bidewell