Info: if your yum fails ... server maintenance

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jun 30 00:55:10 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 30.06.2005 schrieb beartooth um 2:10:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:42:01 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
> > Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> [....]
> >>selection page is actually affected and out of order.
> >>
> >>http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc4
> >[...]. Please come back in a few hours
> [...]
> > Thanks Alexander,
> >
> > I fiddled around with the repo lists for quite some time before reading
> > your message. I evenually went to a direct URL instead of the mirror
> > approach.
>
> Would somebody please explain to the technically challenged how to do that?

Last night (~ 02:00 UTC) there was a maintenance with the Red Hat server
which serves besides other things the mirror selection lists, used by
yum and up2date to automatically choose a mirror for getting package
information and the packages itself. That caused yum to fail
temporarily.

> My upgrades from FC2 and Fc3 went fine; I did FC1, hit exactly that error,
> and have been retrying ever since, for almost 24 hours.
>
> Fwiw, I still have an /etc/yum.conf from FC1.
>
> Up2date also fails.
>
> Is the server really still out??

No, test it yourself by accessing the URL with your browser.

> Or is something else wrong on my end?

Must be something with your setup.

> Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist

Alexander

Serendipity 02:46:31 up 4 days, 9:38, load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.14