FC4 good new tech, bad legacy support

Richard Kelsch rich at csst.net
Thu Jun 30 01:00:15 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 15:59, Richard Kelsch wrote:
>

>>Les, thank you very much for the suggestion.  However, I actually
>>think it would be a step backwards for me.  Much of what I'm doing is
>>also "bleeding-edge" and I'd doubt some of the software that I need is
>>even contained in the enterprise trees, at least the versions I need.
>>

>I'd expect about anything to work in Centos4 that works in FC3. There
>is a 'centosplus' repository containing some things missing from RHEL4
>including a kernel with support for firewire, the filesystems dropped
>from RHEL, etc, and there are various 3rd party repositories that
>work with either RHEL or Centos.  In most cases you could either use
>an FC3 rpm or rebuild it from the src rpm if you can't find a native
>version.
>

>>Unfortunately my "push" is probably similar in nature to the push the
>>FC team has.  It's the same "push" most everyone else in the Fedora
>>community has.  Seriously, by the time I'm ready to shove my PC into
>>my car, I want it to be at as up-to-date as possible.  To some that
>>may be a bit "fanboy" but much of what I'm doing is new.  I have the
>>freedom to not be locked into a production environment and can
>>experiment and tinker.  In this case the experiment failed
>>spectacularly.
>>

>The latest FC version is the right place to work on the project you
>want for next year - but then it doesn't make sense to complain about
>the not-quite-ready-for-prime-time parts...  And, once it works you'll
>probably want to load it on something where you can expect updates
>for a fairly long time.

The problem with the "not-quite-ready-for-prime-time-parts" is that they
affect the entire OS as a whole.  The C compiler, as you know, affects
all of the software installed in the distribution.  I want to emphasize,
that as a new Linux release, FC4 is a great OS.  My only beef is it's
lack of legacy support.  That's it.  I overcame the other small problems
and don't find them an obstacle.  In fact, with all of the complaints I
am reading about in the list, I can't help but wonder if the new
compiler might be at the root of the problem.  Maybe the code it creates
isn't so rock-stable after all.  Just an unqualified theory, or course.

Rich