Some thoughts for the future

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jun 30 02:05:58 UTC 2005

. m a r c o s a u g u s t o wrote:

>Linux always seeked to be better (AND IT IS for a long time !)
>
>Now is time to read ACCESSBILiTY and USER FRIENDLY books!! : )
>
>Look this nice brazilian project, I got enthusiasmed... but, don't
>tested it yet,
>it claims to run linux (based of fedora) and with a windows interface
>that can run everything..
>no wine needed..
>
>www.freedows.com
>
>If microsoft can get the better of linux.. now is linux time (after
>all, the only thing that windows have is the community [ lot of
>programs  ] )

It is great that Fedora is a base for an OS that brazilians can use to
base an OS which can run many programs. The website translated well into
English via mozilla features. It does however look similar to
www.lindows.com which was based on Debian.

WordPerfect from Canada was developing an OS that could run either Linux
or Windows programs years back. I thought that would have taken off and
was looking forward to its deployment. It seems possible to make a full
featured OS which incorporates programs compiled on different platforms,
without complying to standards set out regarding certain compilers or
runtime translators, we will always have incompatible platforms. Greedy
companies that intentionally change protocols, sabatoge companies such
as Netscape and WordPerfect are probably not good models to use for
complete cross-platform integrations.
Linux does not seem to be held by standards as much as other OSes, this
is good for progress. Compare the US television standard which held
television to a 1930s standard. I am not really interested in a platform
that is 100 percent capable of running any desired program. I see more
efficient compilers and more efficient source code to be desirable. I
see less efficient source code becoming halted with compilers that only
allow successful compilation to set standards.
Of course, this more stringent standard makes large projects like KDE
and xorg-x11 subject to a lot of needed code cleanup. I'm sure that this
will take a long time to complete. Until the code can be cleaned up in
its massive size, breakage will be seen.
For other platforms, I see projects like openoffice.org to be the best
solution. It makes it easier to wean yourself off of applications that
are mainstream.
I can only guess which way we will head with Linux. It is tough to give
people all programs desired with laws that threaten lawsuits against
companies or individuals for using a program. You need to draw the line
somewhere. Linux isn't hampered much by creativity. Programs are out
there, but due to laws, it is shied away from.

Some good points, but cursing usually dstracts others from the attention
line.

Jim

--
"All we are given is possibilities -- to make ourselves one thing or another."
-- Ortega y Gasset