Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jun 30 13:43:08 UTC 2005

Eduardo J. Vega A writes:

> Hello guys... I got already FC3 installed at /dev/hda but I need to move
> it to /dev/scd

The first SCSI hard drive is /dev/sda.  There is no /dev/scd device,
/dev/scd0 is the first SCSI CD-ROM drive.

> I know that I can move them by using dd, but, what else do I may need to
> change ?

Quite a bit.

> 1) Grub ? Which config files ? Should I do any other stuff rather than
> modify the new path at the Config files ?
> 2) FSTAB ?
> 3) Others ?

Grub is the least of your worries.  Depending on how you about doing this,
all that will be needed to make grub happy is some monkeying around with
device.map.

The tricky part is that you need to create a new initrd that loads the right
combination of SCSI kernel modules.

I suggest the following approach, instead.  You don't need to get your hands
dirty doing it this way.

1)  Jot down exactly what warez you have installed on your existing disk;
specifically the fedora packages, and any RPMs you installed yourself.

2)  Disconnect your IDE drive, and attach your SCSI drive.  Take your Fedora
CD or DVD set, boot it, and do a clean install of Fedora on your SCSI drive.
When you select which packages to install, consult your notes and select the
package set that matches what you already have installed.  Also, make note
of which partition goes with which /dev/sd? device.

3)  Reattach your IDE drive, keep the SCSI drive connected.  When you
reboot, you should boot off the IDE drive.  Most hardware boots IDE before
SCSI. With some motherboards it's possible to get them to boot of SCSI
first, but the interactions between that and Grub may not be pretty, so
don't mess with it.

4)  You can then mount your SCSI drive as /dev/sd?, then copy your home
directories and any non-system files you need to the SCSI drive. Disconnect
the IDE drive permanently, and you will now have a clean system booting off
your SCSI drive.

Do not try to copy your entire system from in step 4.  You have a good
chance of turning the SCSI disk into an unbootable brick, if you're not
really careful in avoiding the hotspots of /boot, /etc and maybe a few other
places.  If you blow it, you'll need to start over from step 1.  On the
other hand, you can use this as an opportunity to tweak the sizes of your
partitions.  You do not need to partition the SCSI drive exactly like your
IDE drive (which you would need to do, down to the last sector, if you were
going to use dd).

If you've been a nice boy, if you've installed everything using RPM, and did
not do anything by hand, all you need to do is get the same set of RPMs
loaded on both disks.  If you manually mount the SCSI partitions in the
right order, then you can open up a separate terminal window, chroot
yourself to the root directory of the SCSI drive, and do a side-by-side
comparison of what's installed on which box, with rpm.  So all you need to
do by hand is copy the home directories.