Samba on FC3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jun 30 15:40:35 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 30.06.2005 schrieb Tim Holmes um 17:29:

> I am continuing to work with samba on FC3 for use as a file server etc.
>
> I have set up my server according to the instructions on http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2535778

[ smc.conf ]

> The process that I use to create a samba user is as follows
>
> 1. Create windows account
> 2. Have the user change their password
> 3. Create a samba user using the windows user (I use the system-config-samba applet)
> 4. get their password from them to input into the samba user (Yes, I know this is terrible security procedure, but it's the only way I can get the blasted thing to work)
> 5. Create their home directory
> 6. Create internal folders (like public_html)(once I get it all working right I will use skel
> 7. chown to their username and group
> 8. chmod to 755
>
> There has got to be a better way  -- fortunately I am on summer break right now so there are no students in my network, so thankfully all this is theroretical right now, but in 2 months I will have 200+ students needing to use the system, so I have to get this resolved.
>
> The specific problems that I am having are:
>
> 1. User authentication against the domain
> 2. User creation etc - long and convuluded process
> 3. Profile directory for windows (to store roaming profiles WILL NOT WORK -- even if it has 777 permissions -- I have absolutely no clue on that one)
>

> Comments or suggestions are most welcome
>
> If anyone prefers to work with me directly via phone or IM, that can be arranged as well
>
> The domain is a Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain
>
> Thanks again for all your help
>
> TIM

Tim,

your mail already reached us through this list 17 hours ago. Not really
a reason to repeat. Ok? :)
The problem is certainly that what you want to realize is a complicated
issue (samba with ADS master). Though you are using FOSS software not
all is for free. What I mean, you can certainly hope to get some tips
and help for specific questions, but to expect that someone will provide
you with a fully functional solution may be a bit too much. I think that
is a reason why you got no answer to your first mailing.

Much luck anyway.

Alexander

Serendipity 17:33:17 up 5 days, 25 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.07