Killing idle SSH sessions?

Brandon Laing blaing at vancoservices.com
Thu Jun 30 17:29:28 UTC 2005

Hey list,

I'm curious to know if there is a way to have SSH kill idle sessions
after a set time in Fedora 2 and 3. I've been looking around and haven't
really found any way of doing this. The closest settings I've found are
these:

ClientAliveInterval
ClientAliveCountMax

However, these only seem relevant if the client's connection drops off
or something. I'd like to have the session be killed after 15 minutes of
sitting idle, even if the connection itself is good. I've seen reference
to a setting called IdleTimeout in other versions of SSH, but that
doesn't appear to be a valid setting any longer, or at least not for the
Linux versions.

So, I'm hoping someone has come across this already and may have some
ideas on how to go about getting this set up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!