FC3 core over RH9, now no BIND :(

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 30 17:33:19 UTC 2005

Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 6/29/05, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>>Reports and experience here suggest FC is not the best choice for such
>>important work.
>

> That's because a technical support list isn't the best place to gain a
> good understanding of a product's reliability.  Most of the people
> posting are posting because they had an issue, not because everything
> worked fine.  The folks for whom everything works great out of the box
> generally aren't posting about that fact.

AFAIK all the 2.6.11 kernels have been bad for some, me included.

Several people, me included, got caught by problems with the latest
selinux update. If the advice to update the kernel is correct, then
unless that kernel solves all outstanding problems with USB (I think it
was ACPI bit me, I couldn't shut down) etc then for those who have the
latest selinux in place _and_ problems with USB or the other problems
reported it's likely unusable.

Actually, the fols "for whom everything works great" aren't especially
relevant to its reliability. Probably, if the software doesn't work for
common cases it doesn't get released. OTOH, people with newer or less
common hardware, and especially with laptops are more likely to have
problems.

I pretty sure way of hanging my laptop is to shut the lid, remove the
wireless PC card, open the lid. It doesn't cope well with hardware that
vanished while it was napping.

--

Cheers
John