File Types and Associations ???

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 30 21:12:48 UTC 2005

Scott Talbot wrote:

[snip]

[I wrote]

>> When I go to the properties dialog box I get these options:
>>
>>    GNOME PDF VIEWER
>>    OTHER APPLICATION
>>
>> I see no "add button".
>>
>> If I select GNOME PDF VIEWER, it comes up and does its thing.
>> If I select OTHER APPLICATION, I get the dialog I mentioned above.
>> There is no "add" button on that dialog box. That box has these buttons
>>
>>    for "ggv" there is a "Modify" button (I can select which of 3 to
>> modify)
>>    for "File types and programs" there is a "Go there" button which
>> acts as
>>       described above
>>    at the bottom are "Help", "Cancel", and "Ok"
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>    Sorry, I think I assumed you were using FC3 or 4.  The answer is in
> the dialog you saw when you selected "go there" from the context
> menu.  It has been many months since I have used that.  Same with the
> File Types and programs!  Don't worry that it doesn't display the full
> path once acroread is selected though, Fedora knows where it is at.
> If you want to be sure you could make a link somewhere, say in
> /usr/bin, that would at least make it easier to find.  To do that,
> Open a terminal, cd to /usr/bin and issue the command
> ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread .
> make sure you include that final period - it points to the current
> directory.
>
>    Any way try that out, and I'll see if I can massage my memory cells
> a bit more...
>
> Scott

Yes, I did what you suggest, and it does *not* open PDF files with
acrobat. It also does not have an option to open PDF files with
acrobat. I know how links work. Thanks for the suggestion, I had
thought of it.

If I double click on a PDF file, it automatically opens it with the
GNOME PDF viewer. If I right click, I get

    Open
    Open With
    Cut File
    Copy File
    Make Link
    Rename
    Move to trash
    Create Archive
    Properties

Open opens like a double click.
Open With leads to the menu we discussed, which does NOT
have an acroread option. It does what I discussed above. When
it is selected it offers two options:
    GNOME PDF VIEWER
    Other Application
The others I guess we all know what they do.

Open With->Other Application behaves as I described above.

Thanks for you time.

Mike