Some thoughts for the future

Richard Kelsch rich at csst.net
Thu Jun 30 21:30:35 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 08:38, Tim Holmes wrote:
>

>>>Non-Tech users still have a very
>>>hard time with it. My Dad tried it and gave up... :-(
>>>

>>[Tim Holmes]
>>Yes!! I agree -- I cannot imagine trying to switch our teachers or
>>students here at the school over to linux, even if all the needed apps
>>did run (like our gradebook and school management software)
>>

>Your imagination must not be very good. Look at what the k12ltsp project
>is doing and the success they have had at converting schools to
>Fedora-based Linux and thin client terminals. Their main web page is
>always out of date, but look here: http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/
>and at their mail list archives. Everyone seems to agree that the money
>saved can be put to much better educational uses.

I don't think that just because he's doing something differently that it
is wrong.  In fact, his slow and conservative approach could be very
effective as well.  He says they already have equipment that he's trying
to replace.  It's the replacement that will be slow.  In other words, it
doesn't seem cost is a factor to compare the methods.  Both will be low
cost.  I do suggest, however, that kids pick up on things faster than
adults and he might want to consider which he is trying to be gentle
to.  Nevertheless, "cold turkey" is never a wise approach in a
production environment.