while installing fedora..

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Thu Jun 30 23:18:53 UTC 2005

venkateshpitta wrote:

>hi,
>
>I tried to install fedora on a computer. The graphical install proceeds upto the point of selecting Autopartition or DiskDruid. No matter which is selected, an error message pops up saying "There were no valid disk drives found. Check your hardware.". On one of the other terminals(4 may be), I saw messages beginning with <3> and <4> saying drive seek error and error on sector ######.
>
>I suspect fdisk/mbr from DOS could have done something bad on the disk because Windos is still running on that disk. If someone knows about any tool that can fix this, please point me to that.
>
>thank you

Try the following, it works every time for me ;-) The info comes from,
Dick Morrell, founder of the Smoothwall firewall project.

For Windows users I recommend doing this in future to "clean your box"

Make a systems disk (sys a:) copy fdisk.exe and format.com to your
floppy

Download a really neat tool that I can't live without called, which can
be downloaded from

ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/diskutil/slate10.zip

Ok, make the boot disk with all these added to it, boot the affected PC
you want cleaned (regardless of OS).

When the system has booted

type fdisk /mbr followed by return

then

slate 1/x

Then return when prompted

The machine is now clean regardless of how screwed up the partitioning
was. My 12 yr old son has "killed" more machines than fdisk can ever
cope with :) This is also 10 times faster than having to run through
fdisk or diskdruid.

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.