WEB Cam Server

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 1 00:02:55 UTC 2005

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I would like to setup a WebCam server for a relative of mine who
> started a kindergarden.
> He wants to be able to see who is comming / passing outside for
> security and ID purposes.
> I thought I could install some WebCam server distro on an old PIII
> machine, connect a couple of USB WebCams to it, hook it to a broadband
> internet connection and - presto !
>
> I thought it would be cool to offer the parents to take a peek at
> their kids while theyŕe napping...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> * Hardware Configuration (WebCams, PC)
> * Distro, Software...
> * Tips / Tricks / Pitfalls
>
> Thanks,

There was a discussion about this on a Debian list (probably the Debian
users list) a while ago. It's worth trying to find the thread with google.

Some (more than one) opined that you need something better than a webcam
for security, that low-res digital images suck seriously when blown up
etc etc.

Me, I know little about these things but that if I want a good picture
of a miscreant I need to do some research.

Depending on disk capacity and the desirability of using compact flash
or other SSD, you could look at Debian (which may have a smaller
footprint) or Gentoo (which I've not used but speculate you could get an
even smaller system) rather than FC.

If someone else is thinking of something similar and wants low power, I
found a couple of projects yesterday, both running Debian.

One's a minimac with a SSD and a battery implant replacing CD/DVD drive
(12 watts) , and the other was a Linksys router with a USB disk (3 watts
I think). A lot of the Linksys kit runs Linux, and a wireless router
with a USB port attached to webcam could be way kool:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait