General routing question?

Marcus O. White 1lnxraider at comcast.net
Wed Jun 1 03:48:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 11:11 -0400, Phil wrote:
> Only computer D has multiple nics.
>
> But I needed to make computer A a router. then everything worked.
>
> On 5/31/05, Marcus O. White <1lnxraider at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 10:54 -0400, Phil wrote:
> > > Fedora Core 2
> > >
> > > I have COMPUTER A on NETWORK A that has a route to NETWORK B using
> > > COMPUTER D as the gateway
> > >
> > > Now if I I have COMPUTER C on NETWORK A has a route to NETWORK B and
> > > uses COMPUTER A as the gateway will COMPUTER C be able to ping a
> > > computer on NETWORK B?
> > >
> > > Phil
> > Are Computers A, B and D on the same network/subnet? Does Computer D
> > have multiple NIC installed, which would allow it to work as a router?
> >
> > --
> > Marcus O. White <1lnxraider at comcast.net>
> >
> > --

If all three computers A, C and D are on the the same subnet (ie
192.168.1.0) and with the same subnet mask (ie 255.255.255.0), then
computers A and C should have the same default gateway. Which should be
the IP Address of the NIC directly attached to the same 192.168.1.0
network. With IP Forwarding turned on for computer D, it's default
gateway (route) should be set, on the second NIC, to the nearest
upstream router.

Marcus O.
--
Marcus White <1midniterider at comcast.net>