Tape backup software recommendations

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Wed Jun 1 19:17:34 UTC 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Gérard Milmeister wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 10:22 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
>> On 5/30/05, Gérard Milmeister <gemi at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>>> I am looking for backup software for DDS tapes. Apart from tar, star,
>>> cpio and their relatives I found taper (taper.sourceforge.net), which
>>> seems perfect for my needs (single system backup). However this
>>> software
>>> hasn't had an update for over 2 years, and since it uses a
>>> non-standard
>>> (i.e., non-tar, non-cpio) format for its backup, it is uncertain that
>>> backups will be retrievable in the mid to far future. Suggestions for
>>> current solutions similar to taper would be welcome.
>>>

>> I use arkeia. It spans tapes, and there is a free version for linux
>> users. If you just have a single drive with no library, you should be
>> good to go. You have to purchase a licence if you have a library with
>> a built in changer.
>
> Thanks to all for the suggestions.
> The free version Arkeia is indeed very capable (also a little
> complicated: drivepacks, tapepacks, savepacks...). There is also a
> simple C program to extract the archive in emergency cases. I would be
> nice if there was an open source implementation using the same format
> (arkeia has quite an ugly interface). At the moment I still use taper
> as
> I am not sure that the binary only Arkeia will run after several kernel
> and libc updates...

I am using the purchased Arkeia software on several systems.  On two of
the systems now running RH Enterprise 3, I am running 5.3.5-1.   The
third system  was originally running RedHat 9 and has been upgraded to
RH Enterprise 3.  This system was and is still running Arkeia 4.2
without problems.    The old version of the software had a longer
learning curve.  Both versions have been very dependable.