xorg blowup

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Jun 2 11:40:53 UTC 2005

> >>could you try adding this to your device section of you graphic card
> >>
> >>   Option "TwinView"
> >>   Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31.5-110"
> >>   Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-75"
> >>   Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
> >>   Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024"
> >>   Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT,DFP"
> >>EndSection
> >>
> >>I use this on a PC w/ a NVidia GeForce FX5200 and a LCD Monitor on DVI
> >>and a Videobeamer on VGA...
> >>

> > That didn't seem to change anything. Here's my current xorg.conf and the
> > log file:
> > http://www.obrien-pifer.com/xorg.conf
> > http://www.obrien-pifer.com/Xorg.0.log
> >
> > The log says it's not using TwinView.
>
> You have 2 Videocard sections in your config file. To me, that doesn't
> seem right as you don't have 2 video cards. Could you remove one and
> try it again. Sorry, best thing I can give is a best guess...

I'm open to best guesses and even wild guesses at this point. I removed
the second Videocard device section. UNfortunately no change.

Here's the latest.
http://www.obrien-pifer.com/xorg.conf
http://www.obrien-pifer.com/Xorg.0.log

The log says the only valid resolutions are 640x480 up to 1280x800,
which is true for the laptop display, but the hardware certainly
supports higher res on the external connection.

Here's another oddity. If I'm not in X I can hit Fn-F4 and turn the
laptop's display off so the screen is only on the external display. As
soon as I startx the laptop display comes back on, so both are on, and
Fn-F4 does nothing.

Thanks,
James