OS recommendations/Aging software issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 15:02:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 09:05, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Just my opinion, but I would tend to go with the newest I could get my
> hands on. I had a similar experience with a company that was a
> collection agency. They were still running RHL 7.3 and wanted to know
> why their system wasn't supported anymore. They, via their primary
> consultant, were also afraid to upgrade to a newer version because of an
> irrational fear things wouldn't work - despite having an updated system
> with their critical software applications running on it demonstrated to
> them. They actually came in and rolled back to RHL 7.3 after completing
> an upgrade because of this fear and then tried to say I didn't do
> anything for them. <sheesh...!>

First, you should be aware that you can still get updates for RH7.3 and
RH9 from the repositories at http://fedoralegacy.org/, although I
don't think it is anyone's highest priority to keep them current.

For a new install you need to think about whether you need backwards
compatibility with anything that needs the 2.4 kernel (CIPE vpn, some
older hardware, etc.).  If so, the choices would be Fedora FC1 with the
legacy updates, RHEL3.x if you are willing to pay for support, or
a free RHEL clone like Centos 3.x if not.  If everything you need to
run works with the 2.6 kernel, then RHEL4 or Centos4 would be the choice
for long term support.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com