firefox 1.0.4

I'm not sure what to file this under and so couldn't search for a
solution...

In order to install extensions for thunderbird I had to upgrade
firefox from what is available through yum to 1.0.4 (a security fix)
from mozilla.org. Now when I run Thunderbird or OpenOffice.org and
click on a link they can't open my browser, actually nothing happens
at all.

I've gone into the KDE control centre and set the text - html/hml etc
to load '/usr/share/firefox-installer/firefox' - my slightly odd path
to firefox - but it doesn't seem to work. What have I missed, and why
is 1.0.4 not in the repos (that I could find)

Duncan