innodes

Mike azmr at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 5 22:24:22 UTC 2005

> Hi
>
> I keep hearing stories about people running out of innodes but having the disk
> not 100% full.
>
> Could anyone shed more light on this subject?
>
> I reviewed some information on the ext3, and ext2 filesystems but they don't
> speak a work about innodes.

I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding is that every file and
directory use an inode.  That is to say every time you create a file you
use an inode.  There are a finite number of inodes available.  That's why
you can run out of inodes and still have plenty of disk space.  To see
inode usage try

    df -i

at a shell prompt...