changing motherboards

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 12:46:57 UTC 2005

david smethurst wrote:
> i am changing motherboards and cpu
> i want to keep my current load on the hard drive.
> can do a repair on it to pick up the chipsets on the board?
> both are 64bit boards and its fc3-64
> hard drive is sata and that will be the only thing which will be the
> same.

I've swapped from a dual Celeron (Pentium II era) with an Intel chipset
to a single Athlon 64 on an nVidia chipset, with FC3. It Just Worked
(for what I was using: I'm not sure I got the on-board Ethernet
configured, but then I was about to re-install with FC3 64, so I wasn't
too bothered).  Windows 2000 needed a re-install.

Having said that, watch out for your initrd and your SATA drivers.
Fedora can do the lot once it's got / mounted. But if you're changing
SATA chipsets, you may need to make a new initrd: see man mkinitrd.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Watch your grammar, teams: the double negative is a
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | complete no-no.