lvm -> shrinking logical volumes

Hi,

According to the lvm documentation, it is possible to shrink a logical volume with lvresize or lvreduce.

The man pages warn about lost data, when the removed parts are being used by the filesystem.

How do I reduce a lvm's size then? How do I find out, whether I can reduce the size. How can I ensure, that the filesystem is consistent after the reduction?

thanks Boris