innodes

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jun 6 20:51:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 18:13 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> taso wrote:
> > It is extremely unlikley that the average desktop will run out of
> > inodes - see "df -i".
>
> My desktop must be less than average: I subscribe to this and several
> other lists, use Maildir format (one file per email), and keep my own
> local archive. It adds up.
>
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hda9             256512   48051  208461   19% /home
>
> That's *after* having tarred + gzipped much of the back history. I had
> got over 50% full, and then wanted to make a copy as part of a migration
> process (which involved creating a new $HOME).

It does add up, but for the average user the inodes should never be an
issue.

On mine

[jeff at eye_gore ~]$ df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                     1921984  228237 1693747   12% /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
                     7684096   36018 7648078    1% /home

[jeff at eye_gore ~]$ df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                         14773      6097      7926  44% /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
                         59059     24862     31197  45% /home

Notice that / is the only filesystem using more than 1% of the inodes
here.

This is after several years of keeping a lot of the email I receive as
well as doing a lot of other stuff.

The only time I have had a problem with inodes was several years ago
when one load I did had something that went screwy and started creating
a ton of <50 byte files as an app was creating the temp file then dieing
and trying again in a loop so it left the files.  Since it never
overwrote a file, it filled up the inode table even though df -m showed
over 50% free.

I reloaded with a newer distro and never went back to find out what
actually caused the problem.