Speaker question

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 6 23:44:37 UTC 2005

My wife is planning to "surprise" me with a new set of speakers for my
main linux box (she's a professional musician), and she wants to get me
the Logitech Z-5500 digital speakers (I'm using an Audigy2 ZS card with
some older 5.1 speakers which are failing).  I like the sound, but I
don't want to shell out that much if most of the "features" are
inaccessible under linux.

Does anybody have any experience with these on fedora (alsa) - features
that don't work or that (surprisingly) do?  In particular has anyone
had any luck hooking up both the optical *and* coax (so that I can
share the speakers with a second system)?  And finally is the Dolby
decoding accessible under linux?

(I've been trying to find this info in other places for a week and
suddenly realized that I had forgotten this list.)

Thanks,

William W. Austin                                 waustin at speakeasy.net
  "Life is just another phase I'm going through. this time, anyway ..."