linux newbie question re: usb

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 16:29:25 UTC 2005

Tom W. wrote:
> When I try and sync my Sony through gnome-pilot, my mouse freezes. I
> think my digital camera does this as well. I have to reboot before I get
> my USB mouse back.
>
> Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Odd.

What sort of "Sony" do you have? Presumably it's not a camera: is it an
MP3 player? A memory stick?

What sort of computer do you have? What does
lspci | grep USB
return? How about
lsusb
with the mouse and camera plugged in? And
lsmod | grep hci

Are you using any sort of hubs? Can you try different USB ports?

Very much a work-around: try unplugging your USB mouse and plugging it
back in again. This will cause the OS to re-detect it. (This works for
me in Windows 2000, too).

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | all you deal with are half-wits.