Filled up the filesystem. How?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 04:57:40 UTC 2005

On 6/8/05, dan <info at hostinthebox.net> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:

> >>This can easily be happen if log files fill very quickly. I.e. if you
> >>have Apache running, a fault in your page and quite some hits, the
> >>error_log can grow rapidly. So watch out for large log files.
> >>
> >>Alexander
> >>

> >>--
> >>Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> >>legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> >>Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
> >>Serendipity 23:54:54 up 14 days, 22:32, load average: 0.38, 0.53, 0.49
> >>

> >>BodyID:69189987.2.n.logpart (stored separately)
> >>

> > /var/logs is 23 megs (same as last week)
> > /var is 1.3 gigs (same as last week)
> > /usr is 3.7 gigs (same as last week)
> > /proc is 480 megs (same as last week)
> >
> > I only checked those because those were the biggies last week. The
> > system is so slow now that it takes a long time for it to caculate
> > those values. Where else should I look?
> >
> > Dotan
> >

> Dotan -
>
> Can you show us an output of:
>
> /sbin/fdisk -l|df -i
>
> The reason I ask is ebcause I've seen a machine that had been out of
> inodes, as seen by this output.  Pay attention to the "IUse%" column,
> which may provide clues.  If this is the case, /var/log/messages will
> hint at this.
>
> When a disk is formatted, each unit is designated an allocation size.
> There is one inode for this allocation block size.  If your block size
> is, for example, 4096k, and you have a file that is 2k, then you will
> have used one inode.  You can see how this would be a problem if you had
> hundreds of thousands of very small files, which would make your system
> *think* that it's low on space, just because inodes are not being used
> efficiently.  I've seen this many times on compromised mail servers
> where a spammer has queued up millions of tiny email messages.
>
> Hope that helps
> -dant

Here is th output:

[root at localhost dotancohen]# /sbin/fdisk il|df -i

Unable to open il
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                     1308160  222207 1085953   17% /
/dev/hda2              26208      50   26158    1% /boot
none                   60413       1   60412    1% /dev/shm
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root at localhost dotancohen]#

Also, I ran yum clean all. I run in after every update.

My biggest directories are:
/proc 480 meg
/var 1.8 gig
/usr 3.7 gig
of which:
/usr/lib is 1.7 gig
/usr/share is 1.3 gig

Does that look normal? Where else can I look for bloat? What can I
(safely) erase?

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/forum/index.php
Lyrics Forum