What repository to choose + kernel backwards compatibility

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 8 08:35:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 22:05 +0200, Andy Pieters wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 21:44, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> >
> > Sure you did not enable the development repo? Beware to NOT do so! Hope
> > you haven't already populated your server with rawhide/development
> > stuff.
> >
> No fear there... no automatic updator running on the server.  I always test
> updates before applying them on the server.
>
> Thanks for the article.  That explains it really wel.
>
> How about the second part of the question?
>
> Can I run a FC4 kernel on a FC3 box?

It should work OK but you may need to pull in some other FC4 packages to
satisfy dependencies (e.g. updated selinux policies).

Dave Jones (Red Hat kernel maintainer) is very keen to keep the FC3 &
FC4 kernels in sync with each other anyway; see his blog:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/kernelslacker/17341.html

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>