Re: Crazy directory thing

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:19:50PM +0200, Andy Pieters wrote:

Andy, it sounds like an issue with symlinks.  I have come across this
before.  is the ~/incomming directory a symlink?  I ask this as I have
run into this issue when working from symlink directories.

Is this normal operation or is this a bug? I would definetly consider this a bug. Will do research on this later.

It's a bash thing. Look for the -P option in the bash man page.
(Specifically, -P for cd, pwd, and set.)

I looked through the man bash and I see the issue but it doesn't fix the problem. If you are in a linked directory and want to cp or mv a file using the linked paths, it just does not work. If you set the -P option (as I understand it) you are moved to the actual directory and pwd would show this. In my opinion, I would expect symlinks to act as actual directories and the paths would follow those issues.

I now know why I am having problems with a couple of things I an trying to do from the CLI. The more I think about it, the more it is a bug. I will wait until I install FC4 to see if this is still an issue.

-- Robin Laing