Fonts like Knoppix KDE on FC3 Gnome

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 8 16:22:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:57:29 +0100 (BST)
"Gavin Henry" <ghenry at suretecsystems.com> wrote:

> Dear Guys,
> Has anyone seen how nice and crisp the Knoppix fonts are?

> I would love to get the same on either Gnome or KDE on FC3.

> I'm on a ATi 9500 Pro with a 19" LCD Monitor.

> I have tried everysetting with the fonts tool and messed a little with
> ~/.fonts.conf /etc/fonts/fonts.conf

> It looks as if they are not anti-aliased, but are sooo crisp.

> Any tips?

Don't have a Knoppix to try out currently, but have they perhaps turned on
the bytecode interpreter in freetype?  If so, you can recompile your
Fedora freetype RPM (from the SRPM - look at the spec file it contains
and you'll see the relevant bits) to do that.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!