Re: Crazy directory thing

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:05:59AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:

I now know why I am having problems with a couple of things I an trying to do from the CLI. The more I think about it, the more it is a bug. I will wait until I install FC4 to see if this is still an issue.

It will be.

Bash is trying its best to do what you want -- to pretend that symlinked
directories are bind mounts (see the man page for mount, lookit "--bind").
But because of the nature of symlinks, sometimes that pretense can't cover
for everything.

The two possible solutions are: 1) understand what's going on and work
around it and 2) turn off the pretense with 'set -P'.

Oh, and of course 3) don't use symlinks for directories; use bind mounts
instead.

Another option is to use symlinks the other way around when required and remove them when not needed. In my case this would solve about 90% of the problems.

One of the Linux people here suggested creating some scripts or aliases to accomplish some of what I need/want to do.

It would be nice if there was an option in cp and mv to work within symlinked situations. Time for a RFE?

I will have to learn about bind mounts and how to use them. This may be the best option for the other 10% of situations. Especially for various directories that are common across users such as music and movies.

This is fun.  :)
--
Robin Laing