Re: No regression line formulas in Office.org calc

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:33:33 -0600
Major Seery <mseery gassep com> wrote:

> I'm new to Linux and am generally impressed, but disappointed that when
> you  create an xy chart in calc, you can plot a regression curve but
> cannot get  the formula for the curve, as you can with Microsoft Excel
> or Lotus. Am I  missing something, or does anyone know another Linux
> program that will do  this? I frequently need this in my work.

You can get the formula of the linear regression easily using the SLOPE()
and INTERCEPT() functions.  Getting the formula actually printed on the
graph ITSELF doesn't seem to be possible without perhaps doing
some scripting.

(Is there a way to easily assign the title or subtitle of a chart to be
the value of a cell, like you can do in Excel?  If that can be done, then
the subtitle of the chart could be set to be the formula of the
regression...)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek mindspring com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/