LaCie firewire disc not detected (until I reboot)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:10:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 14:37, Per Thomas Jahr wrote:
> I've just bought a LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme firewire disc. The
> problem is that FC3 can't detect the new hardware when I do a cold
> start. But when I reboot, the disc it is detected and auto mounted. If I
> do poweroff and then start the machine again, kudzu tells me that the
> disc has been removed again. It's consistent behavior - I always have to
> reboot to detect the disc. Really strange...
>
> I've tried to rmmod the sbp2 module and doing modprobe again but it
> remains undetected. I also got a DV-camera connected to the firewire
> host adapter but this has remained off during the testing with the
> firewire disc.
>
> Great if someone here could help me out with this.

Firewire drives seem barely usable if at all with the 2.6 kernel.
Try a 'cat /dev/sda >/dev/null' run to see if you can read
the whole thing without getting errors and disconnecting.
I had better luck with FC1, although it wouldn't autodetect at
all.  FC3 should autodetect if you unplug and replug the firewire
cable even though it misses on a reboot and then is likely to
have errors.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com