Filled up the filesystem. How?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jun 8 20:17:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 15:58, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I just erased a bunch of packages (evolution, thunderbird, etc). I'm
> thinking clearly now- I have not installed anything new on this
> computer in a few weeks, but in less than a week I filled up the last
> 2 gigs of disk space, and not in /home. Some questions:
>
> 1) What (other than logs- checked that) outside of /home could fill up
> that quickly?
> 2) I know know how to find large files, and organize them by size. But
> how can I find new (or recently changed) files and organize them by
> date? I think the solution lies in that route.

A problem I saw a few years ago was an admin tried to run a backup but
mistyped the storage device.  He filled up the file system with a huge
file under /dev/mto.

Check out the man page for the find command.  It has a large number of
options to find files.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Pascal:
	A programming language named after a man who would turn over
	in his grave if he knew about it.
		-- Datamation, January 15, 1984