Re: Font Problems on FC Linux & Freetype

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 01:18 pm, fedora-list-request redhat com wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:27:45 -0700
> From: John Wendel <john wendel metnet navy mil>
> Subject: Re: Fonts like Knoppix KDE on FC3 Gnome
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
>
> Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:57:29 +0100 (BST)
> >
> > "Gavin Henry" <ghenry suretecsystems com> wrote:
> >>Dear Guys,
> >>Has anyone seen how nice and crisp the Knoppix fonts are?
> >

> >>I would love to get the same on either Gnome or KDE on FC3.
> >

> >>I'm on a ATi 9500 Pro with a 19" LCD Monitor.
> >>

> >>I have tried everysetting with the fonts tool and messed a little with
> >>~/.fonts.conf /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
> >

> >>It looks as if they are not anti-aliased, but are sooo crisp.
> >

> >>Any tips?
> >
> > Don't have a Knoppix to try out currently, but have they perhaps turned
> > on the bytecode interpreter in freetype?  If so, you can recompile your
> > Fedora freetype RPM (from the SRPM - look at the spec file it contains
> > and you'll see the relevant bits) to do that.
>
> This reference fixed my nasty font problems, maybe it will work for you.
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers/397
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Due to copyright matters regarding the truetype "hinting", the freetype that
is shipped with redhat and other Linux OS that are from within the United
States has this bytecode turned off. The free type web site goes into this
quite throughly and lets you know that you can either obtain the package from
another source than "official" redhat sites, or to download the source and
build it youself with it enabled. Most of the packages built for distros
outside the US have the bytecode interperter turned on you can either
download another distros free type package or build it yourself. Either way,
the fonts are much nicer.

James Carver