CUPS: howto avoid that CUPS disable LPD printer

roland brouwers roland at cat.be
Thu Jun 9 11:05:14 UTC 2005

Subject: CUPS: howto avoid that CUPS disable LPD printer

If I send a job to a LPD printer (lpd://printServ/port1) and if the
printer is off, after a lot of minutes CUPS disable the printer.
When I turn on the printer CUPS not re-enabled it and I must run as
root /usr/bin/enabled printname or use http://localhost:631/printers

Is possible to avoid the "disable feature" :-( ?

Put the option -o timeout=10000 in /etc/cups/lpoptions
Or in the command lp -o timeout=10000 -d yourprinter
My experience is that cups waits for 500 sec before to put the printer
off-line

Or I want install a cron job witch every 5 minutes check if the printer
is disabled and re-enabled it?

Many thanks.

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca at solinos.it>