FC4 Repositories

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 15:11:50 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 00:14 -0400, Temlakos wrote:
>

>>And I'm asking for that pledge after Synaptic broke and stayed broken
>>and is still broken--and I'm not likely to fix it this side of the FC4
>>release. And frankly, I don't need to read any more explanations of why
>>any particular package is broken, and why I had to remove a package and
>>then re-install it just to make that throbbing screamer ("explanation
>>point") go away.
>

> There's a package manager called smart - last time I used it it was
> pretty rough around the edges, but it solves a LOT of the issues. You
> can set priority to a repo - IE top priority to Fedora Updates,
> secondary to Extras/Core/Livna, and then the others.
>
> In this way a package from the others will not break a package in
> core/extras/livna - even if it has a newer version, the smart package
> manager will give preference to the repositories of higher order.
>
> In this way - you could still benefit from the packages that dag etc.
> package that are NOT in core/extras/livna - and there are quite a few.
>
> I believe dag makes a build of smart available, I don't know if it will
> be in fc4 extras (haven't looked) but I do remember seeing that a
> packager was interested in doing it.

Thanks to all who are participating in the discussion on repos.

Obviously I need to investigate smartpm. It sounds like a substitute for
apt and yum--and perhaps will be the best way for me to configure the
FreshRPMS/dag/dries/at family of repos.

If Extras or Livna does not have smartpm, then I probably will go
straight to SourceForge, or smartpm's home page, and get it from them,
if I have to use the tarball. /Then/ I will configure FreshRPMs, dag,
dries, and at-stable in smart.

I am very, very pleased with yum, BTW--and with yumex, which I have used
from time to time to remove old kernels (and one time to remove one
package so that another package could install "cleanly"). I've gotten to
the point where I configure up2date to check for updates, and then
execute "yum -y update" whenever I see the throbbing screamer. It works
much, much faster--and more reliably--than up2date ever did.

Temlakos