LaCie firewire disc not detected (until I reboot)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:50:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 07:10, Per Thomas Jahr wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 15:10 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Firewire drives seem barely usable if at all with the 2.6 kernel.
>
> Do you know if the 2.6.12 kernel will improve the firewire support?

This doesn't look promising. What it needs is for the sbp2 layer
to handle errors better.  I think freebsd may currently be ahead
of linux in this area.

> > Try a 'cat /dev/sda >/dev/null' run to see if you can read
> > the whole thing without getting errors and disconnecting.
>
> No, there is not a /dev/sda to read from.

Do a hotplug connect, then do a dmesg or tail /var/log/messages
to see where it went.   A 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' should show
the devices with scsi emulation as well as any real scsi devices.

> > I had better luck with FC1, although it wouldn't autodetect at
> > all.  FC3 should autodetect if you unplug and replug the firewire
> > cable even though it misses on a reboot and then is likely to
> > have errors.
>
> I've tried this as well. But it's not detected when I replug the
> firewire cable.
>
> Think I will report this as a bug.

I have two types of external cases and both are detected when hotplugged
but not during boot.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com