smbclient/smbmount to WinXP admin$ and c$

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 13:23:48 UTC 2005

Hi folks

I used to back up Win9x boxes to Linux by connecting to each box using
smbclient on \\boxname\admin$ and then smbmounting \\boxname\c$ before
then taring the relevent directories.

I've tried a number of times to do the same with Win XP boxes, but
always get rejected - see below.  Anyone know how I can do this these
days?

[root at lcomp4 ~]# smbclient -U administrator //larc9/ADMIN$ ******
Domain=[LARC9] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
[root at lcomp4 ~]# smbclient -U administrator //larc9/C$ ******

--
Gary Stainburn