Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 10 18:27:04 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>Use "dumpe2fs -b >/tmp/badblocks" to get a list of the bad blocks in
>>/tmp/badblocks.
>

> All that returns is Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock in the
> file.

Sorry, my typo.  "dumpe2fs -b /dev/hdaX >/tmp/badblocks", replacing
"/dev/hdaX" with the device name of the _partition_ you're trying to
fix.

>>Edit that file and add an entry for block 1, then
>>run "badblocks -i /tmp/badblocks" to mark the block as bad.
>

> Given the above error, how am I supposed to add an entry for that? The
> man page for badblocks isn't exactly revealing much.

If the corrected command above comes back with no listing, then:

	badblocks -i -

and enter "1" at the prompt.  "-i -" reads the list from stdin rather
than a file, and if you don't have any bad block list, that's what
you'll have to do.
-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -