smbclient/smbmount to WinXP admin$ and c$

sc0ri0n sc0ri0n at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 04:11:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 14:23 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I used to back up Win9x boxes to Linux by connecting to each box using
> smbclient on \\boxname\admin$ and then smbmounting \\boxname\c$ before
> then taring the relevent directories.
>
> I've tried a number of times to do the same with Win XP boxes, but
> always get rejected - see below.  Anyone know how I can do this these
> days?
>
> [root at lcomp4 ~]# smbclient -U administrator //larc9/ADMIN$ ******
> Domain=[LARC9] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> [root at lcomp4 ~]# smbclient -U administrator //larc9/C$ ******
> Domain=[LARC9] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> [root at lcomp4 ~]#
>
> --
> Gary Stainburn

Gary,

I used samba to connect to winxp but directory enumeration was kinda
slow. Instead, I use cifs as the filetype and mounted //xp/c$ to
to /mnt/c.

So, create a mount point
mkdir /mnt/c

then, mount it
mount -t cifs //xp/c$ /mnt/c -o username=administrator,password=
$password$

I also added the ip address of the xp box to /etc/hosts so that it
resolves without any issues.

This works incredibly fast!

Adil