move to a larger HD

Hi,

I'm trying to move my whole FC3 installation to a larger harddisk.
I created new partitions for /boot / /usr etc, and copy every partition using
dd.
The partitions are the same size as previously (for the systems partitions
that was enough).
I do have some trouble with dd and my / partition.
After I use dd and look at the new partition it's missing /etc /tmp and /misc
which where there in the original partition.
The etc dir is there, but when I cd to it, it gives an I/O error.

Anything I did wrong ?

Regards,
Marcel