I cannot get back to KDE

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 21:12:45 UTC 2005

--- Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 16:00, Antonio Olivares
> wrote:

> seconds.
> > If
> mean
> > that
> you
> > many
> of
> > the

> it
> > single
> you
> > >
> > > xfce runs, but KDE and Gnome do not.  I dropped
> > into
> > > the failsafe shell, but I do not know which
> > > command/commands to run and fix the problem.  I
> > have
> > > 6.3 MB free so it is not a question of
> diskspace.
> > >
> > > The following files appear in the home directory
> > > KDE.startkde.Ra5609
> > > KDE.startkde.Tq5518
> > >
> > > I tried deleting these but when I try firing up
> > KDE it
> > > gives me the same weird message.
> >
> > Have you tried creating a new user that uses gnome
> > or KDE?  If that
> > works then it indicates the config files under the
> > users home directory
> > have been messed up.  You can try moving those
> files
> > else where and then
> > starting up KDE.  In most cases it will recreate
> the
> > users config
> > files.  Move them, don't delete them, you may want
> > to recover certain
> > things you had setup previously.
>
> I tried creating a new user, antonio, as root user
> and
> I tried running KDE and the same message appears.  I
> try running GNOME and it stays hanging having to
> ctrl+alt+backspace.  I can only acess the KDE, GNOME
> desktops as root user.  Will wait a little before I
> start over from scratch.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

Just an update on the situation, I can only run both
desktops as root.  Here is what is in the home
directory of both regular users
[root at localhost olivares]# ls
Desktop       KDE.startkde.bM7828  KDE.startkde.uc5936
 tmp
Documents     KDE.startkde.Ku7072  KDE.startkde.VG6611
j2re1.4.2_06  KDE.startkde.Ra5609  netbeans-4.0
jdk1.5.0_01   KDE.startkde.Tq5518  pppd.txt
[root at localhost share]# cd xsessions/
[root at localhost xsessions]# ls
gnome.desktop  kde.desktop  xfce.desktop