What IS reasonable disk drive temperature?

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 00:55:55 UTC 2005

On 6/12/05, akonstam at trinity.edu <akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:
> > > The HD temperature CANNOT be lower than ambient unless there is some type
> > > of refrigeration happening. Therefore, your drives are either refrigerated
> > > or your measurements are suspect.
> >
> > Or, a third possibility, which is: you are misunderstanding what Ben is
> > saying. :) He means the ambient temperature *inside* the case, not outside.
> > Presumably, it's not 40C in his server room or office. Even my
> > poorly-conditioned office is, as you can see below, only 82 degrees F --
> > about 27C.
> No I think what is being stated is that it is hard to imagine how the
> disk drives can be at lower temperature that the air in the case. At
> least not for long. Otherwise the air the case would begin to heat the
> disk drives and eventually they would be at the same temperature.

I forgot to mention that there is an air intake on the side of my case
where the drives are, so it's perfectly possible for room air to blow
across the drives, thus reducing their temperature to something closer
to the room-ambient temperature (which is about 23-25C right now) and
lower than case-ambient.  Good airflow across hard drives is vital to
their temperature and thus life expectancy.

Not that any of this is at all pertinent to the conversation.  But the
original poster asked what a good operating temperature for a hard
drive was and I answered that.  The construction of my personal system
is largely immaterial.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
  The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves