Bittorrent - how to use on Linux?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 02:15:43 UTC 2005

Thomas Taylor wrote:

> [...]
>50, mostly about bad tags and parser errors)
>
>[extras-development]
>name=Fedora Extras $releasever - Development Tree
>#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/$basearch/
>mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-extras-devel
>enabled=1
>gpgkey=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/RPM-GPG-KEY-Fedora-Extras
>gpgcheck=0
>

>[root at linux2 bittorrent-FC3]# yum install bittorent
>Setting up Install Process
>Setting up repositories
>development               100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>extras-development                                              8.2 kB 00:00
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:37: parser error : Opening and
>ending tag mismatch: LINK line 18 and head
></head>
>       ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:44: parser error : AttValue: "
>or ' expected
>                align=left alt="[GDSLOGO]"
>                      ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:44: parser error : attributes
>construct error
>                align=left alt="[GDSLOGO]"
>                      ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:44: parser error : Couldn't find
>end of Start Tag img line 43
>                align=left alt="[GDSLOGO]"

>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:113: parser error : Opening and
>ending tag mismatch: img line 112 and td
>        width="100%" height="1" border="0"></td></tr>
>                                                ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:113: parser error : Opening and
>ending tag mismatch: td line 111 and tr
>        width="100%" height="1" border="0"></td></tr>
>                                                     ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:116: parser error : Opening and
>ending tag mismatch: img line 115 and td
>        alt="---" width="100%" height="1" border="0"></td></tr>
>                                                          ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:116: parser error : Opening and
>ending tag mismatch: td line 114 and tr
>        alt="---" width="100%" height="1" border="0"></td></tr>
>                                                               ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:118: parser error : Opening and
>ending tag mismatch: tr line 114 and table
>        ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:122: parser error : Entity
>'nbsp' not defined
>
>      ^
>//var/cache/yum/extras-development/repomd.xml:122: parser error : Entity
>'nbsp' not defined

>Thanks, Tom
>

>>--
>>It's the opinion of some that crops could be grown on the moon.  Which
>>raises the fear that it may not be long before we're paying somebody not

With development version of yum, I am using whatever comes with FC4T3 to
get mirror listings. I believe the lists are random or based on the
originating IP addresses geographic location. The only configuration
that I did was to get the media related repos and it was added in the
/etc/yum.repos.d directory. Extras should have been added automatically.
The repos are seperate files, but will chain with the repos.d being cat
outputs. I am straight development right now, but plan to download FC4
for several machine installs after reports here are observed.

Jim

cat yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d
(END)

The directories under /etc/yum.repos.d cat out as below.
cat f*
[development]
#These packages are untested and still under development. This
#repository is used for updates to test releases
#This repository can see significant daily turn over and can see major
#functionality changes which cause unexpected problems with other
#development packages. Please use these packages if you want to work
#with the fedora Developers by testing these new development packages.
#
#fedora-test-list mailinglist is available as a discussion forum for
#testing and troubleshooting for development packages.
#
#Reportable issues should be filed at bugzilla.redhat.com
#Product: Fedora Core
#Version: devel
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-rawhide
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
[extras-development]
name=Fedora Extras $releasever - Development Tree
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-extras-devel
enabled=1
gpgkey=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/RPM-GPG-KEY-Fedora-Extras
gpgcheck=0
[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
[updates-testing]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Test Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-testing-fc$releasever
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1