VOIP with a linksys PAP2

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 03:27:50 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is another idea.  I don't know if this will work, it seems like
> it might, but since you already have a hub, it's at least worth a
> shot.  Plug your 802.11b AP into the hub, then the computer (one
> ethernet port) and the VOIP device both into the hub.  This might not
> work because of the differences between hubs and routers, but it just
> might.  And you won't have to setup your computer to run NAT (though,
> since you have two NICs, it might be something you want to do later).
> Oh, and as far as your last question, a hub is meant to be transparant
> (which is one difference from a router) so you shouldn't see it.  It
> should be just like talking directly to the VOIP device.  You just
> don't need a crossover cable if using a hub.  You might not need a
> crossover cable anyway if the device can sense whether it needs to do
> crossover or not (as mentioned by someone else above).
>
> Jonathan

yes, I considered this.  apparently the MAC for the adapter prevents
this setup.  however, I'll give it a go to see what happens.

the hub is untested, I bought it at a discount.  it was shrink wrapped
but  ancient and cheap, and I've never found a use for it, so it
doesn't necesarilly work.

I just bought a crossover cable from radio shack, which I'll use in
preference to the hub until I can test the hub.  I haven't been able
to really put the time into understanding the networking involved,
unfortunately, due to personal reasons.

I've done a bit of googling on ipconfig and ifconfig, but haven't read
the man pages yet.  I also have to hit the how-to's.  unfortunately
this telephone is required monday, so I'm in a bit of a time crunch
learning curve wise.

-Thufir