Preparing my system for upgrade to FC4

Lai Zit Seng lzs at pobox.com
Mon Jun 13 09:39:40 UTC 2005

Paul Johnson wrote:
>>I am running FC3 atm, and will upgrade during the week and have a few
>>questions:
>>- Is the upgrade mode reliable, or is it better to do a fresh install ?
>

> Depends on how screwed up your machine is and by that I mean how much
> "non-standard" code do you have on the box? If you're like the vast
> majority of FC users, it's fine. I've gone from a RH9 to FC3 box in one
> shot before now.
>
> I did have to do a completely fresh install from FC1 to FC2 due to my
> system being somewhat insane and it also needed it!

I agree with that too. The upgrade generally works, and it should do
fine for any system that has been running pretty ok.

The biggest headache is when you've got lots of customized configuration
and locally compiled/installed programs.

>>If not, then:
>>-  Is there an easy way to backup setting files (/etc, ...) ?
>

> I'd make a copy of /home/<usernames> just incase. Everything else should
> be fine.

Don't forget your mailbox too in /var/spool/mail :) A few times I asked
to reformat my /var (when I chose to re-install) and forgot about my
INBOX :)

--
http://zitseng.com/