Adding new disks, include in volume group

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 15:27:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 11:23, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've got a FC3 system with default disk format as shown below.  Is it
> possible to add 2 more drives to the system so that the root filesystem
> grows to use them?
>
> If so, how would I go about this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Gary
>
> [root at lcomp4 home]# df
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       38833624  26761032  10099960  73% /
> /dev/hda1               101086      8946     86921  10% /boot
> none                    128068         0    128068   0% /dev/shm

Looks like root is in a LVM group so yes you should be able to add new
disks and grow the root file system.  The tricky part is that you will
most likely have to do this from a rescue CD, not sure you can grow a
file system that is mounted and being used.  Hopefully someone that has
done this will comment.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com